Saturday, February 23, 2008

 

A new direction

So, here we are, almost a month has passed since my last update. What have I been up to, you might ask. Well, it's hard to answer, other than to say that I have been doing a great many things.

Physical Therapy continues; my last session was at the ARC (acute rehab clinic) where I began the long recovery after being released from the burn unit over two years ago. Sarah, the PT from the ARC, had come up with the idea that we should see if I could stand and play the Nintendo Wii. It was a good endurance test, although I can do it, we found that it was very hard on my back. I'm not sure what we're doing this next Friday, but I'm sure Renee will think up something else to test my abilities. I have a Massage Therapy appointment after my PT session this week. It's gonna feel great!

I've also continued to work with the organization that is fighting for the Prosthetic Parity bills. These are the bills that I testified for in the state Senate and House committees. They continue to gain support. However, if you are an Indiana resident and haven't emailed your Senator or Representative to vote in favor of them, I'd appreciate it if you would. Senate bill 269 and House bill 1140 will raise the cap that insurance companies are required to pay for prosthetic coverage. You can email you state legislators directly from the in.gov website.

I've recently taken on a role as a confirmation leader for the youth at our church. It's quite a time commitment, but it also gives me a chance to connect more with the youth. At first I was hesitant to do this but, I feel as if I'm being called to be involved in more than just work this year.

A while back I mentioned that there were some things going on in my life that I couldn't write about. One of those things was about work. As many of you know I have an hour commute to and from work. The drive is wearing on me and I'm finding my work day to be more exhausting each week. By the time my days off roll around I'm too tired to be productive at home. In addition to this it is emotionally draining for me to see my staff struggling with the volume of business and not be able to help physically.

For these reasons I began working with a career counselor several months ago to help me determine what other kinds of jobs my skills would lend themselves to. I really enjoy speaking to the PT classes at UIndy, talking to new amputees who are just starting down this path, and lobbying for issues like the Prosthetic Parity bills. It is my hope to find a new direction with my career that will turn my "disability" into a strength.

With these things in mind I recently approached my Vice President with the need to find a better "fit" in regards to my job. She heard what I was saying clearly and, instead of brushing it off, has taken my request to others within the organization. I'm happy to report that they are actively trying to find a role for me that will be better suited to my current situation. There's a big movement in my organization for diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities. They seem to want me to be involved with this effort and, with any luck, I'll be able to report some progress soon.

In the event that they are not able to find a new role for me I will have to start looking for something else. I need to be in Indianapolis. The drive is becoming far to difficult and, potentially, dangerous. However, I've made the decision that if I have to search for new employment it will not be within the hospitality industry. As I said, I need to find something that embraces the "disability" and gives me the opportunity to help make life easier for people facing similar challenges. I feel that this is the direction I am meant to follow.

Comments:
Good to hear from you again. I think you are exploring some excellent avenues--working with the youth, testimony before legislators, encouraging other people who have hit an unexpected bend in the road. You have a passion in your life now and God expects you to use it in a positive way. You go, Jeremy!
Florence
 
Amen, Jeremy! I'm proud of how well my littler sister stated it. The hour is late so I'll return later.
Harry
 
Hello Jeremy-
Betsy and I have sent requests for support for SB 269 and HB 1140 to our legislators- Representative Amos Thomas and Senator Connie Lawson-
Also, it was great seeing you the other night- Thanks for everything- Next stop- The Martini Bar!! (Or maybe, just yummy coffee)- Matt
 
I am glad you are busy. I think it is good to have rest, but it is equally good to have purpose.
 
Jeremy,
Did you know that you are an amazing person? Thank you for sharing your life like this. Continued prayers....
Bill and Pam
 
This is a very exciting and trying time for you. Change is always hard to choose. You will choose wisely - and you will be successful. Your talents are many and needed in many areas - you're already in many of them. We all applaud and support you -

evajo
 
Hope everything is going well for you in all that you are working on!! (I know how much that hour commute each way adds to a work day/week!)
 
Jeremy, A couple of weeks have gone by since this last post. I know you have taken your quest to the ONE who can best answer your fears, frustrations and needs. I know HE will answer you in his own time and HIS answer will be what he sees as best for you
Our prayers for you are along these same lines, that HE leads you on the best path for you.

Chuck & Marilyn Becker
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?