Tuesday, July 31, 2007

 

The Vacation...and After



The week in South Haven was great! We had a wonderful and relaxing time. Looking back it seems like we ate the majority of the time. South Haven has some great restaurants and, of course, wonderful ice cream! We didn't spend a lot of time on the beach because the weather was fairly gray with the occasional drizzle. However, we spent a lot of time together as a family visiting an apple orchard, vineyard, going to the movies, and looking around the town.

Madeline, Dad, and I went swimming at my hotel. When I tried to swim last year I was really only able to flounder around the pool a little bit. This year I was able to swim on my own and then hang onto a noodle float to rest. We even got into the hot tub!

I made it a point to use the wheelchair as little as possible. However, it did come in handy a couple of times. One day we gave up on the sun and decided to go to the beach anyway. Madeline and Dad fed the seagulls. When all the food was gone she told them they were done. When the seagulls didn't go away she told them she was serious! Since they didn't have beach wheelchairs, and I didn't want to risk getting sand in the joints of my legs I couldn't go on the beach, but I did walk the length of the pier to go out to the light house. The pictures above show the distance I walked.

That walk down the pier was the last great walk I took with the temporary prostheses. We came back from South Haven on Friday afternoon, and on Saturday morning I went to the Prosthetists office to get the C-Legs! Renee met me there to help me figure out how to use the new legs and make suggestions.

The legs work well. Mike, the Prosthetist, attached the right leg first and I got up and walked with that leg and the old one on my left side. The knee didn't want to bend on the first couple of steps but, as I moved it learned what I was doing and began to move freely. As I was walking it fed information to the computer through a bluetooth connection. After a few laps in the parallel bars it was pretty well programmed. Then Mike attached the left leg.

I repeated the process with the left leg, and then we worked on the process of sitting down. The knees are programmed to allow me to slowly lower into a chair instead of the rapid drop I used to have. We also worked on things like stepping down from one level to another. When I left I actually walked down the steps facing forward.

The legs have already dramatically increased my speed and the smooth flow of my gait. However, there are still many adjustments to be made. According to Mike we should have most of the adjustments made by the end of August. Some of these will be programming adjustments and some are simply learning adjustments on my part. For example, going down steps forward is still difficult because the knee has a tendency to bend too fast, hopefully this can be adjusted through programming. When I slow down the knees stiffen up to the point that I can't get my foot off the ground, this is actually something that I have to learn how to control.

Renee took pictures of the fitting/programming process. Be sure to scroll down below to see them. The pictures are in two separate posts so be sure to look at them both!

Comments:
YAY!
Glad you had a great vacation. You look very well rested!
The new legs look sweet!
 
It was fun reading about your vacation -- sounds like you all had a good time.

I especially enjoyed reading about your new C-legs -- I'm so excited for you! I had a dream a few nights ago that I saw you walking with them and you were walking very easily and smoothly. It sounds like a team effort. Keep up the hard work!

Love,

Colleen
 
WOW!!! Seems like the wait was well worth it! As for your courage award, of course you deserved it!! So many people would have given in to being in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives but you fought back and said no way! That, my friend, takes more courage than I could imagine.
Congratulations on the award, c-legs, sales on the cookbook and all the wonderful friends you have who are working so hard and lovingly for you. You're always in my prayers even though I don't know you personally.
 
WOW!!! Seems like the wait was well worth it! As for your courage award, of course you deserved it!! So many people would have given in to being in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives but you fought back and said no way! That, my friend, takes more courage than I could imagine.
Congratulations on the award, c-legs, sales on the cookbook and all the wonderful friends you have who are working so hard and lovingly for you. You're always in my prayers even though I don't know you personally.
 
oops. didn't mean to post that comment twice. meant to hit Anonymous, then put my name in. Embarrassingly,
Marilyn Becker
 
I am glad that you had a good vacation. Michigan is always fun!
The C-legs are wonderful! Thanks for posting the photos. It is amazing to see the technology. I know that it is a lot of hard work, Jeremy, but it sounds as if by September you will be a pro on your new legs!
We are happy for you!
Carolyn and Bruce
 
Jeremy,
What a great week!!! Your VA family is so proud of you and your progress. Just think what Madeline could write if she were a little older - - -

"What I Did on My Summer Vacation"
Had the undivided attention of 4 adults - went exploring - went to the beach - hung out around town - fed and told off some gulls - and when we got home, my Uncle Jeremy picked up a couple of new legs and took off walking. AWESOME!

Keep on truckin',
Lisa
 
So happy to hear you had a wonderful and relaxing vacation! It sounded like you had been too busy and tired for a while.
That's so awesome that you can swim! And they do make beach wheelchairs? - we went to the beach in Maryland and I wondered about beach mobility.
Hope things are going well with the new legs! Sounds like they'll be much better for you! -and I always love it when you add pictures!!
 
Jeremy, I am so exited for you. I know you have worked so very hard to get where you are today. Hats off to you! Glad you had a good vacation.I also was glad you posted pictures. Wow! The technology they have today.It is amazing.
Della
 
Awesome!!! These pictures are great. What else can I say, you look rested, you look happy, bottle it and keep it for later.
Can't wait to see the legs, you always had great legs to begin with...now their even skinner.
Keep up the hard work your rewards are too numerous to mention....
In my prayers,
Love ya,
Marsha
 
I love that big grin in your last picture!! Yay for new legs, I'm so pleased for you.

Sounds like you had a great vacation, relaxation is always good.

Hope you're still selling the cookbooks cos I'm getting Jake to order a few :)

Loadsa love, Annie xx
 
j

Ok, I finally gathered my thoughts into cohesive form! Here goes! Your humbleness, strength and determination are amazing. You inspire me everyday. Your quest to just live life in your new normal has been awesome to watch and read about. Thank you so much for letting us all be a part of it! I can't wait to see where you go next! You're my hero! Really!

m
 
Funny that Colleen wrote that she had a dream about you walking well with your new legs, because as I was reading today's entry, it triggered a memory that I had a dream last night that you came over with your new legs on and you walked in perfectly without your crutches!! I was so excited!! :)

I'm glad you posted the pictures. We've all been hearing about the "c"-legs for so long, it's nice to get to actually "see" them! ;p

Glad to hear things are going well and I'll talk to you soon!

Heather
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?