Thursday, August 31, 2006

 

Vampires

This week I learned what it feels like to have your blood sucked out by a vampire. It's ironic really, because last Sunday we had a blood drive at church. I couldn't give blood because it's too close to my surgeries but, later in the week the vamps still got me. Two weeks ago I spoke briefly in church about the accident and how much blood was needed afterward. Seems that I recieved approximately 120 units of blood, which is about 20 people worth. So, this week they took some back.

On Tuesday I saw the doctors and they confirmed the cellulitis and put me back on Cephlex. I told them that I was concerned that the cellulitis might be a symptom of something deeper and they decided to do a bone scan. They told me it would be a two day process. They did not tell me that it would begin by drawing 60 cc's of blood.

Since I've been used as a pin cusion several times since last October it's now very difficult foe them to find a vein, let alone get any blood from it. We're at the point now where I tell the nurse that he/she gets only one try. If they fail they have to get someone else. I thought I was shocked when she got a good vein on the first stick. Then I looked over and saw her attach a syringe the size of a turkey baister to the IV! The most amazing part was that she was able to fill the syringe.

The next thing they did was inject a radioactive medicine that attaches to my bones to highlightthem for the scan. Then they took some pictures and told me to come back in a couple of hours. During that time they separated my blood into red blood cells and white blood cells with plasma. They put a different radioactive medice in the white blood cells and injected them back into my body when I came back.

Wednesday morning I went back to Wishard and they took more scans. It was interesting, mostly because I got to lay in a machine that looked like something out of Star Trek. It even had a flat screen monitor that they lowered so that I could watch the scan. The scan meant nothing to me but it was kinda pretty. (at least until I started snoring)

Today I met with a different doctor to get the results but left the doctors office more confused than I felt after my Physics final in college. All this guy would say was that my femur was hot. He couldn't explain what that meant but, I just got confirmation from Dr. Klein (an old family friend) that it's good news. What's going on with my femur is normal healing and there's no sign of infection in the bone.

I walked into church last week, which I was hoping to do this week as well, but I'll be walking less for a couple of days just to let the cellulitis have some time to heal. However, walking is getting easier. It felt great to walk at church and feel confident walking in public!

Comments:
I'm sure that sometimes you wish everyone would go away and just let you live!!! It's hard to just say hang in there because I'm sure that's what you feel like you are doing all the time.

It is wonderful news that you are walking more and more. I know it will get easier with time and it's great news that the femur is healing! Hopefully the cellulitis will get better with this round of medicine! I'm thinking about you.

Love, Betsy
 
Hey Jeremy,
I am glad to see you doing well with all the things you had to over come, I am happy things are going well! I had came across this blog and wanted to tell you that you are a fighter, dont give up
your friend Lee
 
Jeremy,

I've ALWAYS thought your femur was hot!! Enjoy the smile!
Todd
 
Jeremy,
Was glad to hear that you have no infection in the bone. I'm with you I think they think we all went to medical school.Sounds like you are getting along better and better with walking.Hope they get the cellulitis under control. Have they decided what might be causing it? Keep up the good spirits.My prayers are with you
Della
 
Hi Jeremy,
Think of the bureaucrats as just a few more bolders to move out of your way...persistence and patience...stay the course. You've come a long way already...you keep showing us that you can do anything you set your mind to and are an amazing example of courage to all of us. May God continue blessings.
Bill and Pam Moore
 
"Walking into church..." That is such a simple phrase to convey so much!! I want to stand up and applaud (and I'm not much on applause during a service:)
Can they culture the culprit causing the cellulitis and tailor the antibiotic to the critter so they can smack it down for good? It's probably wishful thinking since cellulitis is so diffuse. We'll keep praying.
Love, Florence
 
"Walking into church..." That is such a simple phrase to convey so much!! I want to stand up and applaud (and I'm not much on applause during a service:)
Can they culture the culprit causing the cellulitis and tailor the antibiotic to the critter so they can smack it down for good? It's probably wishful thinking since cellulitis is so diffuse. We'll keep praying.
Love, Florence
 
Hello from VA Beach - We think of you often. Keep putting one foot in front of the other!

Love,
Cousin Lisa
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?