Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Where we are now

Last Friday I met with Renee and stood up with both legs for the first time since May 1st. I would be lying if I didn't say that it felt great to be up, however, it was also very uncomfortable (not painful) because the socket doesn't fit anymore. This made it difficult to make the left leg work the way it's supposed to but, that's what we needed to know. The Prosthetist will be taking a new measurement this coming Thursday and then a week later we should be back on track.

It's been a while since I've had a real therapy session because of the surgeries and infections. As a result certain muscles and joints have tightened up. So, this week I worked with some of Renee's PT students at U of I (Indianapolis, not Illinois) for their final exam. One day they had to evaluate me and the next day they had to work with me on a home exercise program. I saw 4 students over the course of 3 hours so I got really stretched out. It was really a lot of fun and helped me feel good about my new situation.

A while back I talked about how I felt like I needed to embrace my disability as opposed to allowing it to change who I am. Talking to the young man's family while I was in the burn unit and working with the students at U of I is part of that. Of course, I have to admit that I am not the same person as I was before the accident but, even though there's less of my body than there used to be, I feel like more of a complete person.

The incision from the last three surgeries (they kept opening the same one) is finally healed. This is extremely important because it means that I can finally get it wet. So, now that you're all updated I'm going to go take a much anticipated shower! Have a wonderful week!

Comments:
Its great to hear that things are going well, Im really pleased for you.

It's also great that even after everything you've been through you still are helping other people out.

Something like that is obviously going to change you as a person, but that doesnt have to be a negative, and for you, you are obviously making it a positive.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the prosthesist (sp?).

Love Annie x
 
I read your blog once a week. Sounds like you are really making great strides! Keep up the awesome work!

Mary...
 
Having not been able to shower for 11 months a few years ago during all my surgeries I can say "HOORAY" for you! I truly know how wonderful that feels.

It's wonderful that you can help others and keep a positive outlook. The Lord has given you the life you have and He will help you keep being a positive influence on others. I know you are a positive influence on mine.

I'm so happy for you!

Betsy
 
Please tell me you have been bathing all this time, just not taking a shower? I was going to say...anyway, new car? Oh, we have to wait till the new leg comes in first,wouldn't be right with one leg. I'm soooo happy for you and very pleased with your attitude. You continue to make me realize the power of our great Lord above. I can't tell you in words how much you have made me think about my life and put everything in perspective. Going to Annie's wedding? We will dance my friend, we will dance. Happy 4th and be careful.
The love never ends,
Marsha
 
Thank goodness, I could smell you all the way over here in Boulder. :)

K
 
Jeremy, keep up the positives and yes, embrace who you ARE and not just who you used to be. Remember "Dulcinea"
 
I love the comment, even though you don't have a much of your body your are more of a complete person, that is one of the most unique comments I have ever heard. You are a real inspiration. I pray for God to bless you richly!! God bless you.
 
Did you say that about your body? Well, at least they kept the cute parts, those legs were soooo skinny to begin with my friend. And now, even skinnier :-)...you know I love ya or I couldn't say these things.
Truly an inspiration to others, always has been, always will be!! Keep up the great work and soon, very soon, you will be driving, walking, showering more often.
LOVE YOU..GOD BLESS US ALL.
Marsha
 
Jeremy-

Wait a minute.....does Renee work for U of I?? I take Anna there 2-3 times/year to let the PT students practice with a child. I think I might know who she is! I usually take Anna for Kathy Martin's class because Anna used to go to the Developmental Preschool at U of I and Kathy was the director. Most of the U of I staff know Anna.

By the way, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to stand up again! The girls keep asking when they get to see you again. And, I'm glad you get to take a shower. I didn't want to say anything, but..... ;) (Joking, of course!!)

Heather
 
Jeremy I feel the sunshine returning to your words and it thrils me so much. I marvel at your great attitude , especially
toward others. You are an amazing man.we're pulling for you

Bill Lusk
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?