Friday, June 09, 2006

 

Third Times a Charm

So, as my sister enjoys pointing out, the nurses in the Burn Unit are very cute. They also take very good care of me. However, these are not the reasons why I felt so great yesterday. The difference between yesterday (the day after surgery) and the day after previous surgeries was that when I woke up, despite the pain, I felt great!

Don't get me wrong, the night of the surgery I threw up twice due to the anesthesia, was in a lot of pain, and couldn't stay awake for more than about ten minutes at a time. When I woke up the next day I was still in pain, hadn't urinated in at least 15 hours (we've decided I'm part camel), and had been awakened several times throughout the night. With all of that in mind, I felt emotionally better than I had in weeks, and I hadn't even taken any drugs yet!

Renee and I talked about this while I enjoyed the chocolate croissant and coffee that she brought to me. She felt that this was a good sign and that it probably had to do with my subconscious awareness of my improving overall health. Since second breakfast (hospital food) didn't bring me down I figured Renee must be on to something. I mentioned it to Dr. Stewart and she said that she felt that I was more intune with my body than most patients and that it was probably a good sign that the infection was gone.

I'll be continuing with the antibiotics for another four weeks and it will definitely be a set back in regards to walking and advancing to the permanent prostheses. However, I'm going forward with the driving evaluation on the 20th and I'm certain each week will continue to bring progress.

Of course, I want things to move forward faster and with no set backs but, with each set back comes a deeper understanding of my new way of life. While I was at the burn unit a 27 year old man, who had lost his left leg and left arm in an electrical accident, was just waking up. They were having a real difficulty due to the language barrier as he only speaks spanish. With the help of the Chaplain, who is Hispanic, I was able to speak with the boys parents. They seemed to feel better about their son's future when we finished talking and I will go back and speak to their son after he comes down off the drugs. It may be a strange way to look at it, but if it weren't for the continuing infection, I wouldn't have been there to speak with them. And, yes, it did me some good to talk to them as well.

Have a great weekend. I'll still write on Wednesday and I promise to keep you informed. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming. No matter how positive I am we're still not out of the woods yet!

Comments:
I wholeheartedly agree with Fran's remarks! I have just this evening collected (from the Calvin Family Website) most of the major postings relevant to your journey- -- since Kelly's first posting last October up to the initiation of your blog as well your mom's posting yesterday. I have copied into a computer file. With your posting today and Fran's remark I am at a loss for words..... Indeed He does move in mysterious ways.

We are all blessed to know you, Jeremy,

Harry
 
Amazing! I am pleased to hear you are feeling good and the positive attitude is incredible. Your help and advice to that family with give them the hope and strength to overcome their new struggle. Take care partner.
 
ATTA-BOY
Pain Free prayers and POSITIVE
encouraging thoughts are beeming your way.You are indeed Gods warrior..........Hang in there.

Bill Lusk
 
Well, well, well...I don't care what you say the nurses are cute and some have been rumored to say that they are requesting your care. So, but anyway Jerm you know that God only gives us what we can handle and the rest we do through him that strengthens us. What a positive attitude you presented to that family. Does your wonderful presence just beem everywhere you go? I think so..you might of just met your calling. That is awesome about the way you are feeling. So, the prayers are being answered! I see a hammock in your future. I'm here for you always my brother. Take care of yourself and your family. I'm looking forward to your next writing to hear about the extended family you just opened your heart too.
Much love,
Marsha
 
God definitely has a purpose for you Jeremy! I'm sure that family was greatly comforted by talking to you like that. You say people ask if you were in an accident(military) and you say nothing as heroic as that...I beg to differ with you. I think you are very heroic!

It was so nice seeing you yesterday! We'll see you again next month when we come back for Sally's appointment. We'll keep in touch on your blog!

Betsy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?