Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Being Home

It's been a slow week. Most of my time has been spent laying in bed trying to move my leg as little as possible. Pain management has been an issue all week. I'm taking Percocet, which is really strong stuff but, I think the stuff that sent me on the cruise while I was in the hospital was so strong that Percocet is like Tylenol for me. Which is just nuts because this stuff is so addictive that it's illegal to prescribe refills or call a prescription for Percocet in!

So, since it's been a slow week, I figured I'd tell you more about being home. I continue to be amazed by the kindness and support of the community around me. My house is only one story so we new from the start that it would be the easiest place for me to get around. The problems were that there were steps to get in and out of the house at all entrances, the entire house was carpeted (since I'm on wheels, most of the time, that was just difficult), and the bathroom had all sorts of issues (stained carpet, leaky shower stall, ugly medicine cabinet, etc...).

So some folks from church and my parents neighborhood (and my Dad) built a ramp in my garage so that I could get in and out without going out in the weather. Then a family friend, Kevin Clark, donated his time off to remodel the bathroom. He and his Son spent most of their weekends at my house installing a ceramic tile floor and shower, tearing out a cabinet so I can wheel under the sink, installing new shower fixtures that meet ADA requirements and look really cool, and installing a new toilet (with a really cool seat). My Dad helped him install two angled and mirrored medicine cabinets in the corners of the vanity which gives off kind of a wrap around mirror effect. (cool huh?) Our friend Paula, who is a Designer, painted the bathroom for us and Dad did the finishing touches with new towel rings and a robe hook. Oh, and my old friend Mark, who lives in Minnesota, came to visit and installed a new vent fan/light while he was here.


I was about to talk about the painting and wood flooring that went on in the rest of the house but my pain level is starting to increase so I think I'll continue tomorrow. Check back for the rest of the story!

Comments:
Jerm, I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. Keep your strength this too shall pass....but now I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the story about the house. I can't wait to come over and see it. I just want to use your hammock that's really the issue. Let me know if you need anything, take care my friend.
Much love
Marsha
 
Party at Jeremy's!!!!! So glad to hear you're home and hanging in there.

"That which does not kill us...calls for more meds!!!"

xoxoxoxo
Jennifer Elliott
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?