Wednesday, March 01, 2006

 

The prayers were answered!

Just not exactly the way we hoped for. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. As you all know yesterday was a big day for me. At 8:00am I found myself sitting in a room at the Orthopedics clinic at Wishard hospital. From 8:00 till about 9:30 a couple residents came in to talk to me and the therapists stopped by on a search for the two doctors I was waiting to see. Picture me losing my patience while my mother tries to calm me down with candy from her purse while Madeline draws pictures and plays with her magnadoodle. The candy worked and when the doctors appeared at 9:45 I was very happy to see them.

They both looked at my left leg and said (as I expected) that it was not ready to be fit for a prosthetic. I have seen a great amount of healing in the leg over the past week but the job just isn't finished yet. Please continue to pray for that leg as I do feel the prayers are helping. And don't lose hope, in the next few paragraphs I will explain my opening statement.

After informing me that the left leg couldn't be fitted the Orthopedic doctor then told me that the x-rays taken last month showed a large mass of new bone at the end of my left leg. (no, unfortunately that doesn't mean that my leg is trying to grow back) What this means is that the bone growth could cause a problem with a prosthetic and the Orthopedic doctor felt that I would need another surgery to remove it. Now picture me seething, my mother looking for a dish towel (she likes to throw them when she's angry), and Madeline is now playing with a small balloon on a stick. Luckily the Physiatrist came to my rescue.

As soon as the Orthopedic doctor said surgery the Physiatrist jumped in and started squeezing the end of my leg and asking me if anything she did hurt. Being a doctor I'm sure she wanted to cause pain but she didn't. Nothing hurt so she asked the Orthopedic doctor if we could wait until I had tried a prosthetic on my left leg before we did any surgery. This way, if the bone growth doesn't cause a problem I don't have to go back under the knife. The Orthopedic doctor agreed and I have been given a temporary reprieve from more surgery. Yeah!

Then, the words that I had refused to allow myself to hope for escaped the Physiatrists mouth. "The right leg looks like it's ready, lets move forward." Then the Orthopedic doctor says "these grafts have matured nicely, I think we can get it fit." Now picture me trying not to cry, my mother trying not to cry, and Madeline is still playing with a small balloon on a stick.

So, a few hours later, I was lying on a table at the Prosthetists office getting fit for a leg. By the end of next week I'll be standing up for the first time in four and a half months! Hopefully at the end of March I'll be able to get fitted on the left. My point in all of this is that our prayers were answered, just not in the way we were expecting. My left leg is healing and the right leg has been fitted for a prosthetic. God has a sense of humor.

Thanks for the support and I'll talk to all of you next week.

Comments:
Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure your butt is very excited!! Good Luck and Best Wishes.
Amy Murray and family
 
Jeremy, We are so happy for you! We will continue to pray for you. Keep up the excellent writing. We really look forward to your news.
Love, Carolyn and Bruce Armacost
 
Wow, wow, wow! I'm so excited for you!

Continuing to pray for healing ...

Much love,

Colleen
 
May I put my name in for the dance? Congratulations Jeremy that is the best news I have had in a long time. You are truly a work of God. Keep up the good work! Also, keep writing, it has to be a form of relief and it makes my day. You are never far from my thoughts and always in my prayers! I promised Dave I would call you and I keep my promises. I want to see you in that bright red sports car again this summer!
Much love my friend, you are really an inspiration to all of us!!
Take care of you,
Marsha Shoemaker
 
Hi Jeremy,
...standing by the end of the week...that's awesome news! We think of you and pray for you every day.
Bill and Pam Moore and Family
 
Wonderful, wonderful news! I'm so glad that doctor's appointment took a turn for the better. I'll keep sending my positive thoughts and energy to that left leg, and hope that you won't need another surgery.

Looking forward to next week's post!

Best wishes,
Erin Longwell
 
Yay! Im so excited for you, thats great news.

Will as always keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and my mom tells me everytime I speak to her to let you know that her and my dad are praying for you also.

Keep up the writing, I like to be updated. Maybe its partly because im a nosey person ;)

Take care, love Annie x
 
HOLY COW!!!!! I'm so excited for you I can hardly stand it. This is such great news. I wish I was closer, I would come and give you a great big hug. the Lord does answer prayers and I DO think He has a really great sense of humor. Keep up the good work and keep healing.
Love and prayers, Jo Ann Hatfield
 
Congrats on the great news Jeremy! We're all very pleased to hear such a wonderful update! The lord works in mysterious ways and he sure is working double time on you.
I have to say only a person such as yourself could take such a tragedy and make it so inspirational! You are one in a million, Jeremy.

Keeping you in our prayers,
Kari
 
Woohoo! Congratulations, sweetie! You never cease to amaze me. I really hope we have the chance to see you sometime soon. Keep up the healing!
XOXO
 
Wonderful news, Jeremy! :)
We're so happy for you!

Love,
Kelly and Glenn and kids
 
Jeremy, you are an amazing young man. Your Grandmother Warriner would be so proud of you and all you have accomplished. You have been on the prayer list of my church and each week I am asked for updates about you. This week I will be able to give them some great news! Tell your folks that I said hi--Lynn Smedley
 
Jeremy, That is Great! My little boy and I pray every night for your leg to heal, I know you don't know me, but I'm just another one who is praying for you to heal and get better. How great it is to know that God is healing you and touching your life as well as many others. You are truly an act of God. we will continue to pray. Take care. Bonnie( Sarah's hairdresser)
 
That is great news. Will keep you in my prayers. Will not be long before you up on both legs.

Gurney
 
Jeremy,

Wow...good for you. Can't wait to see you walking again.

Alison & Jimmy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?