Sunday, November 20, 2005

 

Sunday, November 20th

Yay! I got to go see Jeremy after having to stay away for so many days. I was pleased to see that he was fairly alert-and seemed genuinely happy to see me. He tried to say a few things to me-but unfortunately he can't talk right now so it was hard to understand. I did get him to answer some yes and no questions and was able to show him some pictures that Madeline drew for him which produced a smile. Please understand that when I say alert and responsive I do not mean that he knows about everything that has happened. There is a whole range of emotions that flash over his face-from being happy to see us all the way to being confused and sad. We continually reassure him that he is going to be OK and that he is safe and well cared for in the hospital. He is in and out of alert states-which is OK because he really needs to rest. He will be more sedated again tomorrow due to surgery and probably on Tuesday too as he begins to recover.

Here is the medical update. Surgery is still scheduled for tomorrow (Monday). This is an orthopedic surgery to shape the bones in his right leg and burn surgery-skin grafting with his own skin. Jeremy is second in line for surgery-tentatively scheduled around 12:00 but if you'll recall this is what we were told last week when his surgery didn't actually start until 4:30. He did spike a pretty high fever this afternoon (103 degrees). The good news in this is that the cultures have finally come back positive and hopefully by tomorrow they will be able to identify the bacteria that is causing the infection and find the appropriate antibiotic to treat it. For the time being he has been given the same "broad-spectrum" antibiotic that he was taking before.

Other good news is that Jeremy has been off the vent for almost two days. He does have a trach collar and there is some sort of oxygen mask that fits over the trach to assist him-but he is really breathing on his own. They will, of course, have to put him back on the vent for tomorrow's surgery but didn't seem to feel that it would be a problem to get him off again soon.

That is my news for now-please take a few minutes and send some good thoughts and prayers towards Jeremy as he heads into yet another surgery. Hopefully this will be the last major surgery. Probably by the end of this week-unfortunately nearing Thanksgiving-we will have to tell him all that has happened and about his legs. We (especially my mom and dad) could use some thoughts and prayers to get us through this too if you think of it.

As always, thanks for everything you are doing,
Sarah

Comments:
I am Barbara. I work for IPS, and haven't known Rob, Jeremy's dad, for very long, only a couple of years. Still, his qualities cause me to think and believe that the guy I have had the privilege of knowing, must have an amazing son, given Rob's loving and compassionate nature. It is hard beyond words to describe the gut twist these circumstances bring; good things should happen to good people. I am an optimist, it is easy for me right now, since I don't have the challenges that you face, so let us lend you our peace; find your quiet place to rest in your spirit. The place where you can hold on to the good, and believe what is hard right now, that somehow this is going to be better. It will be a different road, but it will be a good place, because of the love and determination you bring, because of the arms that surround you, and carry you; this love and support is not an accident, it is the result of a life's work of touching the lives of others, and giving of yourself in their need. The love and prayers that surround you are the truth, no matter how hard it gets, or how hard the struggle. Perhaps this, the loving relationships, are the good that happens to good people. Keep the faith, and when you feel you can't, we will do it for you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Page
IPS Special Ed.
Emma Donnan MS
 
Hi guys! I've been reading and just wanted to say how impressed I am about seeing the progress. Jeremy -- YOU ROCK!! And bud, if someone is reading this to you, you don't have to talk. Remember, the silent ones are the dangerous ones. Just think back to camp and all the girls you "wanted" to go out with. Hmmmmmm. Hang in there family! God is definitely with you, otherwise you wouldn't be able to stand. God only gives us what we are able to carry. You must be STRONG folk! See you soon! I'm waiting a little so Jeremy stabilizes more.
 
O God, You are my God;
earnestly will I see You;
my inner self thirst for You,
my flesh longs and is faitnt for You,
in a dry and wary land
where no water is;

So I have looed up You in the sanctuary,
to see Your power and Your glory.

Because You loving-kindness is better than life,
my lips shall praise You.

So will I bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.

My whole being shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness;
and in my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

When I remember You upn my bed,
and meditate on You in the night watches.

For You have been my help,
and in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.

My whole being follows hard after You and clings closely to You;
Your right hand upholds me.

Psalm 63: 1-8
 
Sarah,
It seems like our boy is really coming along well. I am so very happy to hear of this great news (not to mention that you are feeling better as well)! If there is anything I can do to assist, please dont think twice to call. I have been keeping Jeremy as well as the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much for the frequent updates.
Cliff
 
Jeremy, just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery today (Mon). I'll be thinking of you.

Keep strong and Im really pleased to hear that you are progressing so well.

I should be in Indy in Jan so hopefully you'll be up to having visitors by then.

Loads of love Annie
 
For all of the Warriners, we know this will be a difficult week. You are always in our thoughts.

Love, the Nardos
 
Good Luck today Jeremy! You are doing so well and I know that you will come out of today's surgery a little bit stronger than you were before. Keep holding on because you are doing great! I'll see you soon....

Sarah, I am glad you are feeling better! Thanks for keeping us all updated. You are doing awesone!
 
Great news, Sarah! Off the vent, sometimes off the dialysis unit and closing in on the specific bacteria causing the fever spikes!! Music to our ears!

Glad you're all better too. Madaline is OK too, we hope.

I'll see your folks today (Monday, NOV. 21). Carolyn made lunch for them and I'm delivering it.

I'm bringing an Star Wars, out of production cast metal micro-figurine collectible for Jeremy. It's almost 20 years old but still in its original package. Jeremy saw it a couple of times and seemed especially excited by it. I meant to give it to him a long time ago.

You and your folks can decide if and when to give it to Jeremy.

I know that a specific, targeted antibiotic will now successfully eradicate Jeremy's persistant fever spiking; I'm sure it will. I'm betting that when the fever spikes disappear the kidneys will start working all by themselves again, all the time.

God continue to bless you and Jeremy.

Love,
Bruce & Carolyn.
 
Sarah,
I know you don't know me, but
Thank you so much for the updates! I am so glad to be reading about positive progress in Jeremy's recovery. I want you to know that if there is anything I can do please call day or night. Amber has my number. I will keep you and your parents in my prayers today and when it is time to tell Jeremy what has been going on.

Jeremy,

You are a great friend to all of the people you have met through out your lifetime. You have an amazing spirit that I admire greatly! I am praying for you as you go through your last "major" surgery today. Just remember when the time comes, you are more than welcome to call me day or night. I have been staying away because I too have been pretty sick. I somehow contracted bronchitis. Thankfully, I am now on the mend. I will hopefully be able to see you soon. Just remember also you are the leader, team captain if you will in your long road of recovery. You, my friend, have a lot of people on your team to help you through all of this. I love you and will support you in anything you want to accomplish. I also have a wonderful story I would like to share with you and your family. It is rather long for this blog. I will tell you when you and your family have settled down a little bit.

Later,

Mary
 
Hi Jeremy and family,
We thank Sarah and your cousin for setting up this blog site to keep us all informed of your progress.
We are especially thankful to God that you are doing so well. I'm sure everybody is thankful for all the caring, skilled doctors and nurses who care for you every day.
Sarah has a brave, strong brother, Madeline has a very special uncle, and your parents have a wonderful son. We hope and pray that this difficult journey gets easier for you all.
Love,
Bill and Pam Moore
 
Sarah -- I know one of the things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving is that Jeremy has such a loving, devoted sister and parents. Of course, telling Jeremy the news of his legs is weighing heavily on your hearts. But I know you and Patty and Robb will handle this with the utmost sensitivity and love.

Praying for you all this week,

Colleen

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Isaiah 40:28-29

 
Just want to let you know we are still praying for you and your family, I am sure this is incredibly difficult, if there is anything I can do let me know. Lots of love, Bonnie( Sarah's hairstylist)
 
Thank you for all the updates you have been doing for all of us who are keeping up with Jeremy's progress. This keeps me in touch with what's going on because I am unable to come visit for the time being (still trying to shake off this cold I've had for several weeks now).

Hope that Jeremy is able to cope and understand when he is filly aware and that he is in good health and spirits. Think about him every day with the updates and wish him all the best and a speedy recovery after.

-Peter
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?